Thursday, May 31, 2012

Margaret&Scout


Margaret&Scout, originally uploaded by debifitz.

pastel on suede bd.
private collection
20"X26"

http:www.djfitzgerald.com
http://www.facebook.com/D.J.Fitzgerald.Art

This is a portrait I did back in 2001 for a client that became a good friend. In this business you meet a lot of people... most good, a few... not so good, and some that end up becoming a part of your life. Margaret become a part of my life. Over the years I have done a lot of work for her and other members of her family. Some of my favorite pieces are in her collection! Whenever I was in North Carolina I would try to catch up with her. Always saw her at the horse shows... she is one of the few sane (as sane as horse people can be!) people I know at the horse shows! Sadly, Margaret lost a long battle with breast cancer yesterday. This is the very first piece I did for her. And to this day it is one of my very favorites... mostly because it perfectly conveys her love for her horse, Scout. She has had many horses in her life, but Scout stayed with her even when he had to be retired because of EPM. Where most people donate their horses to make room for the new ones, she kept him. I had the privilege of photographing Scout a couple of months ago with the friend who has adopted him from Margaret. Margaret wanted me to do a portrait of them because they had helped each other through some rough times. I got to see Margaret for the last time on that photo shoot. I knew it would be the last time I would see her... Margaret, your courage, strength and grace has truly inspired me to try to be a better person. You will be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment