Thursday, December 1, 2011

New pastel! Garrett & Jacob #1


Garrett & Jacob #1, originally uploaded by debifitz.
pastel on clairefontaine pastelmat
private collection
actual size 19"X26"

http:www.djfitzgerald.com

New commission! Two very cute little boys! I did their mother's portrait when she was a teen with a couple of her horses. I love doing the next generations... although if I think about it too much it makes me feel a little "dated"!!

This portrait is being acomplished with lots of photos... Jacob (the youngest) was a typical 3 year old and definitely not into the a photo session. So we had to work around what he wanted to do... and climbing on the fence was not one of them!! Got about 2 shots of him on the fence but not one smile! But I got this really great shot of Garrett and I love the light and the background. Luckily I found another shot of Jacob's face that had the same lighting and angle so I could make it work. So far I love the way the background has come along... I especially love the grasses in the lower left corner... it felt more like painting! This is also the first time I have used this paper (Clairefontaine pastelmat) for a classic portrait and with out dry mounting. I am doing this by taping the paper all the way around with painters tape. Not crazy about the way the middle wants to puff up. Not quite sure how to remedy this. Right now I just use my left hand to push down the paper so I can work on the firm surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment