Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sweetie #6


Sweetie #6, originally uploaded by debifitz.
pastel on PastelMat
private collection
16"X20"

www.djfitzgerald.com
www.facebook.com/D.J.Fitzgerald.Art

Here is my first go at the stepping stones... Not quite happy with them yet... it seems like the ground is dropping off in front.. So I need to change the angles of them a bit. I am sort of making them up as I go. I have some photos of their garden path with stones like these. It is nice that the colors in them pick up the colors in Sweetie. But I will have to work on them a bit more...

And a really neat thing happen to me recently...  A wonderful artist named Leslie Harrison out of California put me on her web site blog as a guest artist! Never been a guest artist before!!   She does some beautiful pastel paintings of horses,  dogs and people... just like me!   Leslie works on my old friend velour...  I will have to try her paper source.  As much as I love PastelMat,  I still miss the feeling you get with velour. Especially with certain subjects. I have had so much trouble finding quality velour.  Her web site is amazing... please check it out! Leslie Harrison

2 comments:

  1. I love Leslie's work on velour so congratulations on becoming a guest artist Debi.

    Shame you don't live closer to me - I have loads of unused grey and sand coloured velour paper. I fell out of love with it a couple of years ago :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue! The problem I have had with velour is more about the quality than the paper. When I first started doing pastel I used a velour made by a company named Morilla. I would buy it by the 100 sheet box. Never had a problem with it (flaking and/or getting soft) They got bought out by Bienfang... but by the time I found out (because I bought so many at a time) I could not stock up. Tried Bienfang... it actually fell apart. I recently tried a few other company's paper... not so great. The main problem is that the pastel flakes off when I ship it.... not good! Had a major catastrophe with it about a year ago. But I do love the softness of velour for horses and dogs... but I love the detail I can get with PastelMat.... could always use both!... depending on the subject matter...

    ReplyDelete